Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Hero's Fatal Flaw

Yes, James and I have been reading the Percy Jackson series recently. It deals a lot with Greek mythology, hence, the title of this blog. (By the way, I wholeheartedly recommend the books, but NOT the movie. It's a horrible representation of what the books are actually like).

My little hero showing some school spirit!
I've been thinking about the whole "fatal flaw" thing. In mythology, a hero can do wonderful things, like saving damsels in distress, killing monsters, etc. Only one thing keeps that hero from being perfectly awesome: the fatal flaw. Enemies spend their time figuring out what the fatal flaw is so that the hero can finally be defeated.

 First off, I wouldn't think of myself as a "hero", but if I were, I've definitely got more than one flaw. Yet, as I stop to think about it, there really is one flaw that I feel is worse than all the others: a lack of patience. This flaw is one that I've had as long as I can remember, and it's the reason that all my other flaws even exist. Any time I become angry at someone, including myself, it pretty much comes back to that. I'm just not a patient person.

Does that mean I go on living and let it destroy me? Of course not. That's not why we have flaws. Unlike those heroes, our flaws are meant to test us and make us better. There really wouldn't be a point to life if we had nothing to work on and couldn't make goals that slowly lead us to perfection.

Maybe we don't always see the flaws in ourselves, but that's why there are other people around us to tell us. I'm grateful to those people who've helped me realize my flaws. I am even more grateful that I've been given plenty of trials to test me and help me better deal with them. Will I ever get rid of my flaws? I don't think so. It's more likely that I'll grow an inch taller or find the perfect hairdo.

Without my flaws, I just wouldn't be me.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of good points and thoughts... but I have to admit that my favorite part was the picture.

    ReplyDelete