Monday, September 13, 2010

Perspective

Nom nom nom...
It's really quite funny to be a new mother of a 95% perfect baby and to hear all the assumptions that people often have. "Oh, you must be dead tired." "I bet he keeps you up all night." "You must never get anything done." I guess I never realized how much perspective plays in viewing a good night's sleep. A good night, I think, is only having to wake up once. When Joseph was first born, he'd wake up two or three times, but now he's down to once or not waking up at all. A father remarked to me that "sleeping well" is only defined as not waking up at all! I guess that by that definition, I haven't "slept well" more than 3 or 4 times in the last 9 months or so. (Pregnancy in its later stages is NOT very restful, even if you're at home all day and don't already have kids to take care of.) I am grateful that my baby is not even close to what I call the "worst-case scenario" baby that everyone warned me about for months before he was born. When he's all wrapped up in his blanket and peacefully sleeping, the phrase "bundle of joy" runs through my mind. :)

James and I went to our first movie in the theater since Joseph was born! I actually really recommend it. I feel the need to support every good, clean movie that comes out, since there are SO FEW that aren't completely stupid or pointless animated junk. This movie has the typical violence related to magic/fantasy, but that's it. (No swearing, no innuendos, and no junk.) It may be a little predictable, but it has a happy ending and a very likable main character. It's called the Sorcerer's Apprentice (with Nicolas Cage). We are definitely renting it when it gets to RedBox, which will probably be soon.

That brings to mind the whole issue of perspective again. This movie didn't get very good reviews. I don't particularly like movie reviewers. All they care about is some new, breathtaking movie that presents ideas that have never been heard of before, never taking into consideration how much junk the movie has in it. Just because a story has been told before, it doesn't mean that it can't be a good movie. Look at the Gospel. If these movie reviewers were reviewing our magazines and Sunday School curriculum, they would hate every issue or book written after 1835. We need review. We also need good movies that tell the story of good triumphing over evil. Good people really do get happy endings!

So when it comes to perspective...I choose to be optimistic. There's no real point in bemoaning that I still wake up in the middle of the night. There's also no point in complaining about all the bad movies. It would take too long anyway. I appreciate all the good things in life, no matter how small.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree on the movie reviewer thing! Glad to hear you liked that movie... we will have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete