Monday, October 11, 2010

"Bad things happen to good people,"

is a quote I've often heard accompanied by a sympathetic look and the shake of a head. But do they really? I believe I've mentioned this before, but I think I could go into more detail. (By the way, this idea is from my dad, who has many great ideas.)

I'd like to state the phrase in a different way: "Good things always happen to good people." However, that doesn't always mean that these things will be pleasant. There have been many good, yet painful things that have happened in my life. Most recently, I think about the birth of my darling baby. Most would not argue that this experience is both painful and good. Through the Atonement, Christ suffered for all the pains of the world, yet this was a good thing that yielded wonderful results for us. Without a sinless life and willing heart, it would not have been possible "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39)

It is through the things we lack that we come to appreciate what we do have. God giveth, and He also taketh away. The story of Job is often quoted to show the development of Job's character. God wasn't trying to destroy Job's faith. He let those painful (but not bad) experiences happen to Job to further develop Job's faith. I love the happy ending of the story. Not only does Job regain everything he had, but he receives double of his worldly possessions. The only thing that doesn't appear to be doubled is his family, which is a great testimony of eternal families. His family was doubled, because his deceased children would be waiting for him on the other side!

I believe that it is good to be a on both sides of "giving" and "taking". Sometimes we lack worldly possessions, so it takes more faith to give. No matter how little we have, there is always something we can give. On the flip side, no matter how much we have, we can always be grateful for the blessings we receive.

Christ gave his life for us, so what have I to complain about? Nothing, really. Such a sacrifice is not required of me, so I should never complain about the few things I give up, namely sleep, time, and energy. My contribution is such a small one, but like all others, I'll never be able to measure its effects.



1 comment:

  1. This is a very important truth. Yes, bad things don't happen to good people. Painful things happen to good people, but they are not bad. The Lord does not seek to punish us the way we try to get even when someone offends us. The pain we experience purifies us. Just as Christ's pain redeems us, in a smaller way, our own pain redeems us. I have commented on this many times, including yesterday at the conclusion of a seminar in Atlanta. I added, "Some days I wish that I did not understand this concept as well as I do".

    ReplyDelete