Friday, October 8, 2010

Apple Pie and My Cutie Pie

I've been meaning to go to the BYU-I orchard for a very long time, because they have apples for 50 cents a pound. Unless you have a tree in your yard, there's nothing cheaper. I brought home 15 lbs! After making a pie, eating some (of course), and dehydrating 2 batches in the dryer, I didn't have many left. I'm thinking of going back soon so I can make James some applesauce. I was really impressed by the orchard. There are so many different types of apples that I've never seen or heard of. I never liked apples, but I definitely do now! The dried ones are really yummy plain or sprinkled with a little cinnamon and sugar. My favorite dried apples are the Granny Smith. :)

15 lbs. = about 2 grocery bags full

I couldn't believe some of the colors I saw!

I had lots of fun (possibly too much) in using this gadget.

The scraps made a wonderful pie.

Only 9 apples left!

I got about 5 quart-sized bags of dehydrated apples. YUM! 


Joseph had a checkup yesterday, and he's doing great. He weighs almost 15 lbs. now and is 26 inches long. He also had his shots this week and did great. He wasn't too grumpy and only cried for about 30 seconds this time. I'm not sure when I'll start feeding him solid food, but he's technically old enough and probably ready. It will probably be some time this month. I'm actually really looking forward to it! It's not going to cost much either, since I'm going to do what people did for thousands of years...make my own baby food. :)

This past week has really flown by. I just need to figure out what I'm doing this weekend. James is in FA 100, so we're pretty much booked for the rest of the month, but this week is still free. What to do? As long as it doesn't rain like it did yesterday, I think we have lots of possibilities with this beautiful fall weather.

The house smells like apples and cinnamon.

I love fall.

2 comments:

  1. I made apple pie last night too. :) Delicious! Glad your dehydrated apples worked out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy! It was fun getting caught in the rain yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete