Sunday, May 1, 2011

Now We Have a World Where People are Confused...

This weekend, there have been a few things on my mind that just bug me. First, I stumbled across a news article that featured a popular personal trainer who said she'd never have children because she didn't want to ruin her body. Really?! Sure, I've only had one child so far, but I definitely don't consider my body "ruined", on the contrary, I started taking better care of myself because I needed to in order to support another life. Still, even if my body HAD been "ruined", that would not change anything! I'd still have Joseph in a heartbeat! The comments below the article were simply hateful, whether they were in favor or against what she'd said. (Actually, people in general who leave comments are pretty darn rude.) Funny, I was just reading in For the Strength of Youth, which says, "Clean and intelligent language is evidence of a bright and wholesome mind." The world is definitely full of unwholesome minds, then!

The other thing was from Stake Conference yesterday, at the adult session. I guess there is a former bishop who was excommunicated that's going around trying to recruit followers for this anti-Mormon group in Rexburg. I'll admit, I don't think that there's anything more unsettling that apostate members. It's one thing to never have been a member and say untrue things about the Church, but it's another story when a person who had the truth is deceived by the devil and literally tosses aside the fruit of the tree of life. I don't know how that could possibly happen to a person. I'm never going to find out. It's just kind of scary.

Stake Conference was actually quite good. We (the choir) sang some prelude, an intermediate song, and the closing song. It went well, I think. Despite there only being 20 or so of us, our voices carried all the way to the back.

There were a few big themes from the conference that touched me.

1. There is great power in keeping our temple covenants. I've been trying to go to the temple more often, and I don't even realize the impact until I miss a week. I then notice that I'm more likely to be grouchy, less patient with Joseph, and less kind to James. Going to the temple helps me puts things into perspective, because I forget so easily! I can also feel the protection that these covenants give, and I'm grateful that I can go and get my questions answered. The temple really is the House of Lord, and I'm really glad that we have one so close.

2. We taste the fruit of the tree of life in life's pure, sweet moments. The speaker gave several examples, all of which had to do with family. Nothing is more important to me than family. I know that I will have my family forever, and I am okay with that idea. :)

3. The world isn't perfect, but we can be spiritually prepared to face life's storms. Not everyone will prepare for the worst, but we can stick around and help them, as long as we've prepared ourselves.

I hate the fact that the world is a really confusing place. If I didn't have the truth, I certainly don't know if I'd be able to find it. Nobody seems to agree on anything these days, not about politics, religion, education, or even nutrition (which I've learned a lot about recently.) I'm so grateful for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. No matter what the issue, I have the Holy Ghost to help me amid all the confusion and the scriptures and words of living prophets to remind me of what I'm supposed to be doing. I will not get caught up in all the confusion of the world. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only good news these days. I'm ever grateful to have it. It's still true!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know which trainer you're talking about, and I actually saw her in an interview a couple weeks ago. They brought up how she had been quoted as saying her body would be "ruined" if she had kids. She said she was actually misquoted; she meant that she has some health problems that could cause some very serious complications with her and the baby if she were to become pregnant. She's actually hoping to adopt :)

    PS... LOVE reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't realize that. I guess the journalists need to get their facts right! Either way, the comments below were much more horrible to read than the actual article. It's just sad how many people agreed with the alleged quote.

    Love your blog too. Tyson is such a cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete