Monday, February 21, 2011

Embarrassing Moments

I think the question of my most embarrassing moment is a funny one. I've never been able to define one. However, I can classify some of my life's most humiliating moments into a few categories...

1. Being wrong or messing up in front of lots of people. That applies to anything. If I know I'm going to mess up (or even suspect it), it's very hard to get me to do something in the first place. (I can do okay at public speaking if I can read it!)

2. Being made fun of for something I care about. In the 6th grade, I had pretty dorky hair. I liked it just fine until a girl in my class pointed and laughed at it. It wasn't to my face, but I could tell that she was pointing at me. It still embarrasses me to think about it.

3. Being the center of attention. Even at graduation, I hated walking across that stage. I didn't like being the center of attention for even 5 seconds. It's just not me.

4. Getting really gushy compliments. I'm okay with someone telling me I look nice or whatever, but I hate it when  random strangers make a big deal about something I'm wearing or exaggerate. C'mon, I'm in jeans. I do not look "absolutely gorgeous". (Husband excepted, because I know he truly believes that! :))

I want to hear from everyone who reads this. What embarrasses you?

2 comments:

  1. Wow - we are soul sisters! Most of those apply to me, too (although I don't mind being the center of attention as long as it's not all the time). Things that embarrass me: Being caught making out with my husband in an elevator (yes it happened... his fault, not mine!). People teasing me too much (especially, like you said, about things I really care about). Oh, and when you're talking to someone about something and they go on a huge rant about some opinion, and afterward you're like, "Oh, um, yeah, I believe that thing you just bashed for 5 minutes." (Does that make sense?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The center of attention thing defined bothers me. I can get up in front of people and play the piano no problem... as long as I'm accompanying someone else. If I have to play a solo, I freak out. I also... well, it's not really embarrassing, but I hate when I make a simple mistake at work or something. I feel so bad about it because I should've known better.

    ReplyDelete