Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Temptation

I find it interesting to see how temptation plays out in one's life. Thinking back to the Gospel Principles lesson on fasting, I realized once again how loving our Heavenly Father really is. He has promised that we will never be given things too hard for us to overcome. Instead of just throwing us out into the world, He allows us to be taught until we are 8 years old before becoming accountable. We have many opportunities to learn right from wrong before we have to face temptations.

Fasting is a huge blessing in that it allows us to resist temptation in a "safe" situation. To eat or not to eat is not a moral issue. Obviously, eating is a great thing, and we need it to survive. However, it can be especially hard to control our appetites and passions when we are weak or vulnerable. Fasting has been provided to help us resist temptation in a situation where if we mess up, it's okay. There are many chances to get better without having to face repentance each time. We still draw closer the the Lord and receive help along the way. Not only do we have the chance for greater communion with Him, we are asked to bless the lives of others by giving fast offerings.

That's a powerful message. We are, in a sense, being asked to practice resisting the temptation of food so that we can apply this self control to other situations. Our bodies seem to suffer as we resist eating those two meals, but being able to control hunger leads to much greater things. Many people in the world have never thought of missing a meal. This same attitude applies to all other appetites that the body has. We could say that the body suffers from the lack of food because of the "pains" of hunger that one feels. However, that example is too easily applied to justify gross sins such as breaking the law of chastity (because abstinence isn't healthy for one's sex drive), anger (which is okay if someone else deserves it), or following any other impulses of the natural man.

All I can say is that self control (especially when it comes to food) is a tough thing for me. I can't fast without fainting right now (since I'm nursing a baby), but I'd like to try something. A friend of mine is giving up sugar for Lent this year. If Christ could fast for 40 days, I think that I can give up the part of my diet that isn't even necessary (or good) for my health. I know it's going to be hard, so that's why I will have support along the way. I have a feeling that a simple "sugar fast" can lead to great things!

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, I LOVED giving up sugar for Lent last year!!! It really was awesome, and I went for almost a year without eating much sugar. But of course, now I've built back up to eating too much, so I am excited to "shock my system" again. I hadn't thought about it as a self control thing, but that's so true. Also, a friend of mine (not LDS) helped to explain Lent to me a few years ago in a way that really clarified it to me, and which is why I've observed it most years since. She said that the purpose of Lent isn't just self-denial - it is to bring you closer to God because, theoretically, you are supposed to replace the thing you are giving up with a closer relationship with Him. So every time you think about the thing you've given up, you're supposed to think about Him and His sacrifice. It makes Easter so much more meaningful, in my opinion, to have been thinking about Christ for 40 days previous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thoughts that you have! You just have such great insights to everything you take on. I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete