Monday, February 14, 2011

A Little Bit About my Grandparents

I envy James, because all of his grandparents are still living. As of February, my dad's parents have been deceased now for 11 and almost 16 years. Dang, that's a long time. I want to talk about all of my grandparents just a little.

Grandma Phenix lived in Columbia the entire time that we did. I remember going to her house to spend the night, eat junk food, and watch cartoons. For a 3 to 7-year-old, that's the life! I absolutely loved going to her house, because I got one-on-one time, something that was rare at my own house. Grandma moved to Florida after we did, and I'd go help her clean her house or write notes. She loved fried chicken and Diet Coke...A LOT. When she died, Dad and I got started into family history. It's amazing how much stuff she'd collected in her red bag. We have done countless names at the temple because of her hard work.

Granddaddy Phenix was in World War 2 and got a Purple Heart. He drove a tank. I can remember going on walks with him around the block. Dad says that his dad was a funny, quirky guy. I wish I remembered more about him. He was in a nursing home for 3 years before he died due to a stroke, so most of my memories of him are of that.

Grandpa Schillemat loves the outdoors. He still spends his summers at Scout Camp, but now he's the nurse. He has built 2 houses and loves working with wood. He also loves moose. He's a great cook and makes some killer beef stew and chili. He's into coin collecting. We have all the state quarters in mint condition.

Grandma Schillemat loves angels. She has so much angel stuff that there's isn't room in the house to display it all. She always sends us cards for birthdays and Christmas. She used to work at an elementary school in the cafeteria, but she's retired now. She loves going to events that her grandkids are in.

It's crazy that I've spent 10X more time with James's grandparents than with my own in the last year and a half. I love them all, though, and I certainly miss the ones I don't see!

No comments:

Post a Comment