Monday, February 7, 2011

Hand-me-down Talents

I have an awesome mom. Because of her, I have a wonderful example of a woman who loves to be a homemaker and mom. I'm working on developing some of the same talents that she tried to teach me (not always successfully.)

Mom instilled in me a love for cooking. The bigger the crowd, the bigger the challenge. (Bring it on!) Mom always made yummy meals and treats for us. I've learned and use a ton of her recipes. When I make them for others, they always comment on how great they are, especially Mom's famous bread!

Mom is the most faithful visiting teacher I've ever known. I'm trying to be a good visiting teacher as well. I used to think it didn't matter, but I'm getting there. I hope that I will always take the time to contact those who don't let me visit or are hard to get ahold of, just like she did (and does) every month.

Mom loves to sew. It's her passion. I can't say it's one of my passions yet, but I'm starting off small. I regret not learning a little more when I was at home. I don't think I'll ever be designing my own clothes, but I can do something.

Mom has also inspired me to be in the ward choir. She was a member of an advanced choir in high school and still loves to sing. She always sang lots of little songs that she made up while we were babies. I sing some of them to my son now. :)

There are many ways that I'd like to be like my mom, but I'm not her. She is one of the best people in the world because of her service to others, especially her family. I hope to have a fraction of the qualities she has when I am her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment